Monday, March 1, 2010

White Chocolate, Cranberry and Almond Torte

(Gluten-free, reasonably low in fat)


This torte was unlike any cake I’ve ever baked before. I suppose it was closest in composition to a pavlova, but the small amount of flour in it completely changed the texture. I wasn’t displeased with the result, but not really that impressed either.


It was easy enough to make. Eight egg whites beaten with caster sugar to make a typical meringue mix. Gently folded through a small amount (40g) of self-raising flour (I wanted the cake to be gluten-free, so I used g/f SR flour), sweetened dried cranberries, chopped white chocolate, and chopped roasted blanched almonds. Then gently poured the mix into a springform tin lined with baking paper and baked for 50 minutes or so.

The result certainly looked quite good. The main shortcoming I think was the dry texture. If I had left out the flour, it would have been a pavlova, and would have been quite soft and marshmallow-y in the middle. But the addition of that small amount of flour seemed to make the texture very dry. Maybe that was partly due to using g/f flour instead.

If I were to make this torte again, I think I would make a raspberry puree or syrup to pour over the top when serving, just to moisten it up a bit, or spread some sort of cream on top (perhaps melted white chocolate and cream whipped together and chilled).

No comments:

Post a Comment