Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Recipe Books

I guess the books you like will be influenced by the type of food you like to cook and eat. Me, I like simple food with strong flavours, and I love to bake. I also like reading recipe books for pleasure, so I love books where there is a short background blurb about each recipe. Here are some authors I’ve used a bit:

Nigella Lawson: I love her interest in food, her emphasis on flavours. But I have to admit, I’ve had some real problems with some of her recipes – incorrect measurements, lack of detail in instructions, and underwhelming results. There have been a few real gems – her recipe for spaghetti alla carbonara is one of my all-time favourites – but overall, her books are a bit hit-and-miss. I think she’s better watched than read.

Donna Hay: these recipes are always clear and easy to follow and very reliable, and often have a nice twist. The results are usually delicious and good to look at.

Jamie Oliver: another cook who I think is better watched than read. I’ve been really uninspired by most of the recipes in the books of his that I have read.

Delia Smith: usually pretty reliable, I like the way she explains why you do things; results can be a bit on the boring side.


Women’s Weekly: these recipes are easy to follow and very reliable. The results are usually good, if a bit boring and plain.

Elizabeth David: I have only actually ever cooked one or two things from her books, but I love to read them for fun.

Other favourites…?

3 comments:

  1. I really love Nigella books, but I've read somewhere that the How to be a Domestic Goddess book had some incorrect ingredient measurements in the ones printed some time ago. I don't know if what I read was accurate, but it sounds like it might be judging by yours and my own experience. I often make my own notes about recipes if I want to try them again, noting what I might do next time.

    If you haven't checked out Bill Granger, you really should! I have almost all of his books, and I have to say that I am almost always pleased with the results! The ones I'd particularly recommend are: Bills Sydney Food, Bill's Food, Bill's Open Kitchen and Simply Bill. The recipes are always easy to follow and generally use ingredients that are easy to find. I am definitely a fan of Bill!

    Other favourite recipe sources for me are: Super Food Ideas magazine and peoples' blogs!

    I also use the Womens' Weekly books on ocassion, they are so easy to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, thanks for the tip about Bill Granger, Hayley. I've flicked through his books in passing, but have never used his recipes. And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had problems with measurements in How to be a Domestic Goddess. Looking forward to reading the next baking post on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need to get a curry book or 2. Try anything my Madhur Jaffrey or Charmaine Solomon.

    As for Nigella.....dreadful (having said that I did make a few things from her Christmas cook book last year that were pretty decadent).

    ReplyDelete